Thursday, December 16, 2004

don't know if I mentioned it already, but it's my birthday.

it’s 11:36am as I start this post, which means that it was exactly 26 years, 364 days, 23 hours, and 9 minutes since I was born. and it’s been exactly 34 minutes since I finished my birthday pancakes. and it’s about 6.5 hours until I start my birthday beer and a birthday cheeseburger. yeah, that would be 6.5 seconds, except that it’ll be another 5.5 hours until I finish proctoring an exam today. (which, by the way, is a sacrifice I’ll gladly make – the prof wrote me a letter of recommendation that should get me pretty far with the law school admissions council, so I’ll detail her car if she wants.)

my exam went well yesterday, by the way. again, I’m just glad they’re done. one of the concepts we learned about for that class is that there’re two ways to study the culture of a society. indirectly, you can watch that society’s TV shows, listen to its radio stations (“dead air, um, dead air” ha!), look at its paintings, and see what all of those mediums (media? mediumsa? moosen?) are talking about. directly, you can put on your chesterfield and actually go talk to the people – interview the key players, talk to reference groups, etc. either is well and good, but my point is that today I actually get to DO EITHER ONE OF THOSE. I’ve been chained to my computer for so long, writing papers, etc., that I actually found myself wanting to go to target. for the first time every in my life, I’m actually looking forward to stretching my legs and maybe even going to (shudder…) the mall.

so, my friends, my present to myself today is that I’m going to cop off a lame blog post on you so that I can end early, and go rejoin the culture of my society. I might even put on a chesterfield. thanks to everyone for their well-wishes (a special shout-out to mr. mountain-man dumas), and I hope I see you out tonight, helping to rebuild my lost connection to society. I’ll be the one with the birthday cheeseburger.


Posted by Hello

oh, and let’s refocus our advent calendar on the other part of festivus we’re really supposed to pay attention to this month… 9 days left!

No comments: