Wednesday, January 19, 2005

SUNY Rhapsody

the semester has officially begun, which means my apartment has swung full tilt back into grad-student-mode. I'd love to blame the sink full of dishes on my academically charged schedule, but that's more because my apartment has never gotten out of messy-bastard-mode.

the fridge is stocked with easily prepared foods, so I can just grab an impromptu meal and eat over the keyboard. the messes on both my actual and my digital desktop have been cordoned off into slightly more organized piles in preparation for 2005's additions. my new notebooks, pens, pencils, folders, and especially my text books have been purchased and are sitting on my office floor in target and UB bookstore bags, laughing at the aching checking account statement lying nearby.

finally, and most importantly, I’ve added a new task to the start-of-semester to do list. last night, while my reading waited patiently for me, I put together my first ever rhapsody playlist. for those of you who don’t know what rhapsody is, look into it. for those of you familiar with the program, please don’t point and snicker at my inexperience - I’m madly in love with rhapsody. I’m not exactly a late bloomer in the digital music genre; it’s just that up until this point, I’ve been so satisfied playing entire albums through rhapsody that I haven’t had to create a playlist yet. but last night, I just felt the need to get a few of my recent favorites into one compact area before I really tucked into my scholastics.

here’s what I came up with on the fly (you can only blog playlists of 25 songs or less, so this is in three parts. they're in alphabetical order, but I just play them randomly):
part one
part two
part three

this isn’t an exhaustive list, just a few that I love and a few that hoffman and lisa suggested. as much as I love rhapsody, it’s really only able to give me maybe 80% of the tunes I want to hear (which is a lot – I’m not complaining). so if you notice I don’t have anything from, for instance, the beatles, it isn’t because the fab four are bad study companions, but just because they haven’t been rhapsodied yet. I’ll repost as this list grows/shrinks/changes. suggestions?

No comments: