Friday, March 04, 2005

leave alanis alone already

now, I know I’m not exactly the grammar pope when I’m posting, but it is kind of an obsession of mine. and honestly, I’ve gotten a lot better. I don’t cringe anymore when someone misuses “whom”, or says “between” when they should have said “among”, because these are the things that you really only learn while studying for standardized tests. well, wait, that’s not fair. my high school english teachers may well have taught me something about the difference between “whose” and “who’s”, but I was too busy thinking about women, video games and cartoons. screw grammar, I had dragon warrior waiting for me at home.

today, though, I’m ever-so-much more in hate with people who over correct grammar.

there was a time when a shooting pain in my ears would force me to rake someone over the coals for saying “her and I”, but that made more enemies than impressed passers-by, so I’ve learned to control that impulse. some grammar rules I flat-out disagree with. did you know it’s supposedly (supposably) poor grammar to say “no problem” instead of “you’re welcome”? well, accordind to a school-marmish woman I overheard in the library this morning. true or not, I’m far more pissed off by the peons who perpetuate this kind of insufferable, anal retentive, grammar-nazi Code of Proper English, than by someone who is just trying to communicate a point quickly.

so, want to impress me? buffalo morning radio personalities, I’m talking to you on this one: 1.)study up on your pronouns and 2.) stop trying to update me on who is misusing the concept of irony this week.

No comments: