Sunday, April 10, 2005

the winds of change smell like ass

Today's theme is "change". It's been a weird couple of weeks. Here's a quick rundown of my recent life-changes, big or small, good or bad:
  • big, good: UB's new school of management building has opened, doubling the space we lowly MBA grad students can use without aggravating law school and/or undergrad kids. I'm in the new lounge now- a large, windowy chamber with comfy armchairs and wireless access. The fact that we're down to the last month of school is at once annoying (since it means we can only enjoy the new facilities for a few more weeks) and suh-weet (since, well, it means that we're down to the last month of school).
  • big, bad: Turns out I have the cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides (sp?) of ten men my age. A long overdue checkup revealed that my blood surges to the irregular but catchy mighty taco theme song. The doctor was afraid to come near me for fear that "poor diet" might be contagious. This has prompted a number of baby life changes, most of which would go under the "small bad" category, including: more fruits and vegies, more water, soy milk and cheerios replace real milk and coco puffs, a lifetime supply of baby carrots, and last but not least, a reinstated membership to weight watchers. Yeah, it's cliche, but it worked last year for me, and this time I have the added motivation of avoiding death for a few more years.
  • big, good/bad: Lisa and I road tripped out to Albany this weekend and toured the law school. I'll tell you this much, Albany has some cool little streets, and more corner pubs than you can shake a stick at. The school itself was amazing, and altogether terrifying. It reminded me of Hogwarts, but with more academic competition, and fewer owls. I was told that there were 2200 applicants and only 245 were offered a seat, which made me all warm and fuzzy inside.
  • really big, really good: Lisa and I passed 100 days until the wedding. Today, we're at 89. Last weekend, we spent the day among other God-fearing couples at pre-cana, listening to a lot of old people talk about sex. Near the end, lisa got punchy and couldn't stop laughing, which made me lose it, which made most of the people around us start laughing.
  • small, good: I downloaded a podcaster so I can listen to the Ongoing History of New Music out of Toronto whenever I want. I'm so cool.
  • big, bad: Insurance blows. Just in general.
  • small, good: I suffered through the entire album (called Picaresque) that The Decemberists just released, mostly because it had a good review in RS. I was rewarded, though, with an excellent track called "16 by 32" that I haven't been able to get out of my mind in days. Here's a rhaplink, with a few others I recently added to my master playlist.
  • small, neither here nor there: I capitalize now. Well, Microsoft Word does it for me, really.

No comments: