Sunday, May 01, 2005

Probably no "GWAR"

Esther has traditionally been my most appreciative recipient of compilation CDs. She says I have mad skillz when it comes to constructing the perfect disk, and since we share a similar love of rather eclectic music, she makes the perfect audience. This makes sense, since she was instrumental in the development of my musical tastes. Wherein Lisa learned to love Rick Astley from her mom, Esther helped me to escape a life of purely Metallica-driven tastes (a fate so often seen in my school’s peer group) by introducing me to Depeche Mode, Phish, Fresh Prince, The Sugarcubes, 10,000 Maniacs, The Beastie Boys, Dave Matthews Band, The Cure, R.E.M., and to a certain extent, The Barenaked Ladies.

In the past, the mix tapes or comp CDs have been traded unprompted, but this morning, Esther actually broke from tradition and commissioned a work from me. It turns out she’s just getting into her seven thousandth month of pregnancy and would like to take a more soothing, relaxing, but not-too-enya-esque playlist with her into the hospital. (Now, why you wouldn’t want to have Orinoco Flow playing behind your contractions, I’ll never know, but who am I to question such an honorable request? Actually, I imagine if it were me in her position, I’d instead be preparing to sing my own song while in labor, a little tune called “Please, Dear God, Make Them Give Me Drugs”.)

So help me out, everyone. She loves the John Mayer, so there’s one. Iron and Wine is good to snooze to, so if I can find an appropriate tune from them, that might not be a bad idea. Rufus Wainwright had a great rendition of “Hallelujah”, but is he a little too morose for child-bearing? Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions for inclusion/avoidance?

5 comments:

Jess said...

I really like "A Forest" by The Cure. Also, "Fade into You" by Mazzy Star. Maybe "Bobcaygeon" by the Hip. Anything by Sigur Ros.

Anonymous said...

Anything Norah Jones. Anything off the "Sleepless in Seattle" Soundtrack, (specifically, Carly Simon's "In the wee small hours of the morning" or the Joe Cocker's "Bye Bye Blackbird"). Sarah McLauchlin's Angel....

I do think some Metallica could come in handy in the delivery room, though... :)

Scott said...

David Gray - Lost Songs 95-98 - all acoustical. Sammy was born to this disk. How can you go wrong?

Cowboy Junkies - Miles from Home

Nick Drake - pretty much anything

Sting - soundtrack from The Living Sea

boudica of suburbia said...

no not rufus. If anybodys going to do hallelujah it has to be Buckley. May I suggest you have a look at some Tim Buckley (father of Jeff) She Is is really good.


xxB

Garvey said...

sweet suggestions, kids. I'll use a lot of these, and post the playlist once it's all been put together. keep 'em coming...

by the way, I am infinitely cooler because the toybox has attracted european attention - (boudicaofsuburbia.blogspot.com).