Monday, May 23, 2005

www.midnightbox.com

So I need to throw in a quick plug for a few ex-classmate friends (I mean, used-to-be-classmates, still-are-friends) of mine. These are the guys who left grad school with a class project and decided it was good enough to make some real cash. They just “opened” their doors for the first time, and if they’re anywhere near as good in reality as they were at UB, this is going to be a fun one to watch.

www.midnightbox.com

If you’ve ever gone to www.woot.com (and who hasn’t?) it’s pretty much the same deal, only there’s more of a time effect going on. It’s an online retailer that only sells one item per day, but you don’t know what it is until they reveal it at the end, or you’re able to figure it out via the hourly clues. Of course, the price goes up a touch every time they drop another clue, so it’s all about the risk.

People are starting to realize that the communicative/e-commerce nature of the internet is not limited to emails, IMs, and an I’m-the-big-business,-you’re-the-tiny-customer mentality. In fact, a lot of money is being made through companies like woot and neopets and ebay that run in the face of the old brick and mortar retailer. Granted, I’m not going to be buying a car or a house through these guys anytime soon, but the point is that they’re setting the stage for an online community where I can talk shit about other peoples’ mouse-balls, and a local web-based start-up gets to make a few bucks. Good for Buffalo, I say.

Check it out if you get the chance. If you register (it's free), put “mikegarvey” in the “referral code” slot so I can earn enough points to win a psp. I mean, support my friends.

No comments: