Monday, June 20, 2005

the I-love-books! meme

Oh, gracious gods above, thank you outgrabes for giving me a topic today. I haven’t exactly been napostian blogapart lately, in part because I’ve been so busy with a hectic summer, and in part because the well of creativity seems to have run dry in the last few weeks. I’m sure once I get back into school I’ll be far too busy to post then, so of course I’ll post more then.

In the meantime, outgrabes memed me to talk about books. She isn’t an easy act to follow (thucyd-who?), but we’ll see what we can pull off the shelves.

Number of books I've owned:
a great deal. If you include text books, it’s an even greater deal. If you include comics, well, those numbers don’t yet exist.
Last book I bought:
An Introduction to Legal Reasoning, by Edward H. Levi. It’s suggested reading for students entering into Albany Law School. They also recommended A Civil Action, by Jonathan Harr, but I’ve already seen the movie…
Last book I read:
How we are Hungry: Stories by Dave Eggers. If you were even remotely into indie lit in Chicago over the last five/ten years, Eggers is required material. You can find some excerpts here.
Five books that mean a lot to me:
Man, this wasn't easy. I've read a lot of good stuff over the years, and much of it, I think, "meant a lot" to me. Roald Dahl when I was a kid... Michael Chabon more recently... Technically, I have a copy of The New Testament that I've never read, but it was the one that Papa carried with him when he was in the war. Naturally, that would go on the list of "things to grab in case of fire", but I think for this meme, we're talking more about content, so here goes:

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.
American Gods by Neil Gaimen is one I’ve gone back to a number of times. I even met him once when I asked him to sign a copy of that and a Sandman comic.
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. First and last book to make me cry.
Kingdom Come by Mark Waid (Art by Alex Ross) Can you follow Steinbeck with a comic book? Okay, sorry, I mean “graphic novel”.
The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis. This whole series kick started my love of fantasy, and generally opened the door into nerdular nerdance when I was a kid. I’m trying not to let my hopes get too high for the movie.

Excellent topic, my friends. And to pass the torch:
Scott (who is out of town, but can pound this one out when he gets back in a couple of weeks. He’ll be upset I stole the Narnia book anyway.)
Esther (put aside the baby things, and talk books with us.)
Cecilia (cookbooks are allowed.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cannot recommend the tim russert book, "big russ and me," enough. it's WONDERFUL. read it. it makes me miss buffalo painfully... SO GOOD.

Scott said...

Scott might be out of town, but he's blogging his vacation in realtime (neener, neener Mikey). I'll have to give this one some thought though.

Cheers from the Atlantic shore.