Saturday, September 24, 2005

Lovely Rita, Hurricane

Woo-hoo! I mean, toooooooooo baaaaaaaaad… Mom, wisely, has decided to hold off on her trip southward and will instead spend the weekend safe and dry at home.

I’m told that this is not a “give-up”, but rather just a “put-off-until-it-isn’t-a-suicide-mission”. It should be a safe trip for her, in my opinion, in another twenty years or so, but actually she’s just postponing for two weeks.

I should say, I suppose, that I fully support this trek of hers. My last post wasn’t entirely meant to be a window onto what I’ll be like as a parent someday, but really I just wanted to share the fact that I’m extremely uneasy about the whole thing. I know she’s been nursing a very intense desire to return to her old stomping grounds, and I know I’d feel the same way if it was Buffalo and Lisa and I had moved, long ago, to New Orleans. The fact of the matter is that there are simply no answers coming from smaller towns like Ocean Springs that are complete enough to satisfy a worried mom. Certainly, she’s going to help with the relief effort, but I think there’s a very large part of her that just needs to see it for herself.

Maybe “closure” isn’t the right word, since this affair is far from over, and “satisfaction” is definitely wrong since I can’t imagine she’s going to be placated by what she sees. But contrary to my hesitation, I do realize that what she’s looking for isn’t in Western New York. It might be in Ocean Springs. I don’t know.

But it’s worth a look, right? And the help she can offer while there will mean a lot to a lot of people. In the meantime, I can’t shake the feeling that this whole trip is a sneaky God’s way of answering this prayer I offered a few posts ago.

I mean, c’mon. I meant send Superman, not mom.

1 comment:

Esther said...

Hmmm, come to think of it, I have never seen Superman and Mom in the same place at the same time...