Monday, September 05, 2005

My turn with the music hoodoo stuff.

So, I’ve been dragging my feet on this post for some time now, not because I’m afraid of what my musical tastes will say about me, but rather that they won’t be appropriately represented. This is a fun little window into someone’s psyche, but since I share an iPod with Lisa, and Rhapsody with just about everyone here at chez Garvey, I figured neither was an accurate reflection of the tunes I listen to.

But then I realized that might be the underlying beauty of the survey after all. If the oracle that is “Rhapsody” suggests I might want to listen to Rosemary Clooney in an instant playlist, it’s more because Lisa had at some point queued up Mambo Italiano, not because I’m a big fan of the old standards or anything. But, that still says something about me in the end, doesn’t it?

And then I realized I’d put waaaaaaaaay too much thought into it, and stopped procrastinating. Here’s what Rhapsody’s instant playlist function had to say about me:

Instructions: Go to your music player of choice and put it all on shuffle. Say the following questions aloud, and after each one press play. Use the song title as the answer to the question.

What do you think of me, Rhapsody?
Flash – The Sadies
I’ve shown you my privates? I’m a “flash in the pan”? I’m the fastest man alive? Ambiguity is the Devil’s volleyball, Rhapsody.

Will I have a happy life?
Three Babies – Sinead O’Connor
I swear I’m not making this up. Lisa, ready for triplets?

What do my friends really think of me?
Here We Go Again – Norah Jones and Ray Charles
Yeah, my friends have hurt their eyes from the excessive rolling, I’m sure. A&J in particular have helped me move at least 75 times in the last few years.

Do people secretly lust after me?
Do It With Madonna – The Androids
I’d say this is spooky, but if you think about it, I bet most of the songs in a Garvey playlist would have some sexual connotation. I’m just glad it wasn’t Ugly by the Violent Femmes.

How can I make myself happy?
Cancer For The Cure – Eels
Well, that has all kinds of depressing interpretations, doesn’t it? So, to be happy, I’m supposed to be the bad guy?

What should I do with my life?
Can’t find my way home – Blind Faith
Right, Rhap, you’re a bit late on that one. I think if I’ve been able to prove my proficiency with any life changing activity, it’s finding my way back to WNY.

Why must life be so full of pain?
How It Should Be (Sha Sha) – Ben Kweller
Well, that answers that.

How can I maximize my pleasure during sex?
Maps – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Huh? I think there might be a grays anatomy joke in there, but I’m going to leave it alone for now.

Can you give me some advice?
While My Heart Is Still Beating – Roxy Music
Carpe Diem, indeed, Rhapsody.

What do you think happiness is?
Steal my Kisses – Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
Why steal ‘em when I gets ‘em for free?

No comments: