Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Cartoon Post

I’m hip deep in reading about counterclaims in Civil Procedure right now, but I thought I’d sign on real quick to talk about something that we all know is very near to my heart: my favorite cartoons.

Man, there are a lot of them out there these days, and Lisa will tell you that I hate the VAST majority of them. I mean, why make a bad cartoon? I just don’t get it. I’m talking to you Turner - do we really need another episode of Ed Edd & Eddy?

But there are those meritorious few that keep me coming back for more. Creative beacons in the otherwise inky ocean of programming that seems more intent on selling turn based card games than entertaining me. The shows listed below are my favorites that you can currently find playing somewhere on television. They’re listed in no particular order.

Drawn Together – this is the show that prompted me to write this post in the first place. It is both hilarious and re-premiering on 10/19.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force – I like to think I have a connection to this show because one of the voices and I went to the same acting studio in Chicago. But not at the same time. And we didn’t have the same teachers. Or take the same classes. In fact, never mind that – it’s a funny show regardless.

Family Guy – well, yeah, duh. I will say that I’m extremely happy that the new shows are as funny, if not funnier, than the first few seasons.

The Simpsons – well, yeah, duh again. Though the current stuff is not as funny as the first few seasons, I’ll still take whatever I can get.

Fairly Odd Parents – this might seem out of place, and I honestly can’t tell you why I like it so much. It just has a character about it that you don’t see in a lot of children’s shows right now. His teacher cracks me up.

Robot Chicken – is this a cartoon? Well, “animation”, anyway. Kudos to Green et al for crushing Captain Kirk’s nuts in a sliding door. UPDATE: here's a sample. God bless you, Google.

Futurama – I will never understand why people refused to watch this show just because it wasn’t as good as The Simpsons. Well, they’re right, it wasn’t. But it’s a fairly different type of humor too. And since it can be more plot driven than Groening’s other work, I think it’s just as much fun to watch.

Venture Brothers – Patrick Warburton needs to be canonized for this.

Now, if only we could get rid of Yu-Gi-Oh and put Invader Zim, Superman the Animated Series, Rocko’s Modern Life, Samurai Jack, The Tick, and Animaniacs/Pinky & The Brain back on the air, then we’d all be better off and I could get back to my Civil Procedure.

4 comments:

Alex said...

You must watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. I insist.

Greg said...

Rocko's Modern Life has been reincarnated as Camp Lazlo. It's Joe Murray's current project, and after an episode or two you'll see that it's spirit is alive and well.

Oh, I like Futurama better than the Simpsons.

Esther said...

Counterclaims? Is Schlegel actually teaching you something?!?!?!

Garvey said...

Alex - I think we spoke about that show. I saw one episode and was excited, and then another and was bummed. I'll give it another shot, though.

Greg - I thought Lazlo's animation looked familiar. I've only seen commercials, though. I find it hard to believe they'll ever beat wacky deli, but I'll take a look anyway.

Esther - oh, good God, no. I'm doing extra reading. Thanks for your outlines, by the way.