Sunday, October 30, 2005

Perchance to dream...

I had an actor’s nightmare the other night. Those of you who have never really been on stage before might not know exactly what I’m talking about, but I’d bet the general feeling is pretty close to the I-showed-up-to-my-final-exam-late-and-naked dreams other people tell me about. I’ve never had one of those. If my brain wants to tell me it’s stressin’, it puts me in front of an audience in the wrong costume having never read the script.

Okay, yes, this is where my friends say “Whatever. You never knew your lines anyway.” Ha-ha. You’re all comedians, you are.

See, my brain takes that into consideration, and removes my ability to snow through it, a talent I was admittedly known far and wide for throughout the Canisius College Little Theatre. In my yout’, I could ad-lib in iambic pentameter, but in my dreams, I can barely utter a muted “du-u-uh” before peeing myself out of fear.

The odd thing is that I haven’t had many of these dreams since I last put the grease paint away. I usually had one or two during every run in college, and then I think I had a doozy when I was moving home from Chicago, but this is the first I’ve had since then, and truth be told, I’m really not all that stressed out right now.

Weird, huh? Can stress be latent? Could I be really worried about something and not be aware of it? Help me out, psych majors.

(By the way, in retrospect, the dream was pretty funny, even though it gave me the night-sweats at the time. So far as I could gather, it was about a Chinese food restaurant and the young waiters and waitresses who worked there. I think I was the guy who made deliveries to the restaurant, and a young BAstarter was the owner. Since we’d gotten so far away from the script at one point, we instead decided on the fly that the best way to entertain our crowd would be to play basketball using a cell phone as the ball. Yeah, I don’t get it either.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Were you standing in a garbage can wearing a Shakepearean robe? I dreamed the other night that George Bush introduced me to Bill Clinton in the White House and I was so excited to talk to him but realized after he'd left that I was wearing my teeth whitening trays and couldn't talk right. Politically stressed? Mom