I can’t imagine a better way to close out the year than copying Sarah:
1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
Damn. The question isn’t “what did I do”; the question is “what didn’t I do”? (Please don’t say we’re not going to take the car home…) I got married. Check out the archives for the rest.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t really make any last year. I was perfect, or so I thought.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My niece is cuter than your niece.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
A few relatives. A few friends. Rest in peace, everyone.
5. What countries did you visit?
Alaska is a different country, right? I know Italy is, and parts of Canada might be.
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
A 2006 calendar. And mo’ money.
7. What dates from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 9th. The day I ate more vodka-soaked swedish fish than anyone on earth.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I done gots my wife knocked up!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Well, I haven’t gotten this semester’s grades back yet, so I’ll let you know which final wins this award when I do.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Both, along with “insult” added to them.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A bow tie. It fits in so well with my NPR-listening, port-drinking, business-section-reading lifestyle. And it’s from Rome.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Cecilia and all the others who danced like rock stars at my wedding. And Esther who didn’t because of #3.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Drugs and illegal firearms. And by that I mean food and education.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving in below friends and fellow-bloggers who like fire pits and drinking good booze as much as we do.
16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
Ben Fold’s, The Luckiest, as sung by Lou.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? A touch thinner, but it’s been quite a ride.
c) richer or poorer? Richer, and not just because of my lexis nexis points.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas among family, exactly like I wanted. Lisa worked quite a bit, since she’s low man on the nursing totem pole, but despite that I think we did most everything we wanted to. Except she never made any white trash.
21. How will you be spending New Years?
I’m going to a friend’s dressy fancy-pants party tonight, much to the dismay of my family. I hope they save me some brisket.
22. Did you fall in love in 2005?
23. How many one-night stands?
Shhh… my wife is reading over my shoulder.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Something off of HBO, probably. Six Feet Under? Carnivale? Scrubs and The Office are definitely up there.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Well, I didn’t know some people this time last year that I do now. I will say that of the people I knew then, I don’t hate them any more or less now.
26. What was the best book you read?
I just finished Wicked and enjoyed it quite a bit. Absolutely nothing like the musical, as it turns out. I re-read American Gods, and am about to start the sequel, Anansi Boys. Oh, and on a friendly recommendation, I did quite enjoy Gates of Fire
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Man, I just generally got a lot of mileage out of downtempo. Most recently, U.N.K.L.E.
28. What did you want and get?
Into law school
29. What did you want and not get?
My grades from law school
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I honestly can’t think of one in particular. I had a great time seeing Sideways with Lisa, Laura and Hoffman, who smuggled a bottle of wine and four glasses in under his jacket.
31. What did you do on your birthday?
My Contracts final. Then drinky drinky with the gang!
32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A monkey. But I don’t fault anyone for not getting me one. They’re pricey.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
Slightly improved, though I really was looking forward to a green knit sweater with a reindeer on it.
34. What kept you sane?
Louis got me a ps2 as a wedding present. God bless‘em. And Lisa will never, ever know how much I love her days off.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I do have a little crush on Rachel Ray.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Man, too many to list. On a local level, I think the casino has me the most worried.
37. Who did you miss?
Those on whom I flaked. There were quite a few evenings of 44 or poker I missed out on while learning about easements and personal jurisdiction.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I did make some law school friends – Cliff, in fact, had a new person of his own back in November.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:
Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“If you question what I would do to get over and be with you. Lift you up over everything to light up my room.” (Okay, cheesy, but I’m hooked on this song. And the line does fit. Happy New Year, everyone…)
2 years ago