Monday, February 20, 2006

Thanks.

Thanks, everyone. Thanks for your support, your well-wishes, your kind words and your desperately needed prayers. Thanks for your chicken cacciatore.

I don’t have to report on the down-side of all this. Even if you haven’t gone through something similar before, I think you know the cons without me listing them.

Here’s a pro: I have three new heroes. Joe’s kids stood tall. Part of my mind tells me that I can assume/imagine how bad it is for them, and then another part smacks the first part down and calls it an idiot. I have no clue. I hope I never do. The three of them showed a superhuman ability every time they took a breath without passing out. Someday, I’ll tell my child about these heroes and how strong they were.

One more note before I leave this one for awhile: I was a pallbearer for the first time in my life. What an honor to be able to play such a part. The weight of an uncle in his pine box split six ways is still surprisingly great, and even though the Garvey men are not known for grace, we cousins and brothers walked in perfect synchronicity, without incident. Getting a half dozen guys from my family to do anything even half coordinated is not an easy task, and I think Joe would be quite pleased to know the trip to his Final Reward had such a unifying effect, even if only for a few seconds.

No comments: