Friday, February 24, 2006

Think back.

What is your earliest memory? 3 years old? 4? 2? I know there are people who claim they can remember their own birth. I’m skeptical, but I guess I have no reason to doubt them.

I think it would be funny if all of a sudden, I just *snap* remember everything that happened between birth and my current earliest memory (which, by the way, is visiting my mom when she was in the hospital having Cecilia). My brain does occasionally let me in on secrets it had previously deemed classified – hiding places of iPod components, conversations I’d had with Lisa about ice cream sandwiches, high school locker combinations, etc. I think I’m pleased I don’t remember teething, but wouldn’t it be interesting to recall what was going through your mind when you chose your first word or took your first step?

I played with young Julia yesterday during a long lunch away from my studies. I pride myself on being able to make her smile, and I wonder if she finds equal pleasure in making me look like a peek-a-booing idiot. She doesn’t speak much right now, except for the occasional “mama” or “dada” or “Jesus, Jesse, get the hell away from me”, but I’d like to think that if she could better communicate, she’d tell me she likes looking in the mirror with me. Or that she truly appreciates the time and effort I put into itsy bitsy spider. Or that she loves my beard.

Maybe once she can talk, she’ll *snap* remember and drop me a line.

5 comments:

lisa said...

my first memory is my grama b. singing "take me out to the ball game" to me... and julia's first memory will OBVIOUSLY be of me soothing her with the dulcet tones of spongebob squarepants.

R said...

I hope Quinn's first memory is going to college when he is 5. He's so smart

That's why telling them the stories of when they were little are so fun!

goose said...

Mine was going to see Empire Strikes Back in the Theatre with my mom and dad at age 2 and being utterly terrified by Darth Vader.

Johnny said...

The exit sign in the Huston airport, with some giant goober holding me. I was terrified. And under a year old. Next memory was smashing my chin open at Grandma's house when I was 3. Everything since then is golden.

Sweet Pea said...

my first memory is when I was 3 yrs old. I climbed into the baby crib with little Karen. I carefully slid her over a bit and sat next to her and watched her sleep. I remember thinking this was OK to do since the crib was mine first. :)