Monday, March 20, 2006

Run for your life.

After much introspection and an intense personal, mental and emotional examination, I’ve come to a realization that if I were to be totally honest with myself, I know I’ve known all along. Turns out I’m a fatty fat fat.

Oddly, I haven’t really cared until recently. I lost a lot of weight when I moved home from Chicago, and I’ve been riding that wave for years now. “Of course I can have Mighty Taco for lunch. At least I’m not having two deep dish pizzas (with blue cheese on the side) for breakfast.”

Buuuuut, I’ve been getting worse in my habits. Sympathy weight? A convenient excuse for eating a large milkshake every couple of days. Add to that the chinese food, popcorn, “drinking for three”, and even the occasional chicken finger sub, and we’re no longer talking about the few pounds a new dad puts on… we’re farther into the realm of bears getting ready for hibernation. Pass me another pic-a-nick basket, please, Boo-boo.

More important than my missing six-pack: my cholesterol looks like my phone number and my blood pressure is so high that, well, I don’t have a joke for this one. It’s really fucking high.

So what to do? Well, unfortunately, I’ve already done the easy stuff. I use fake sugar. I eat baby carrots. I got married, so my fridge is no longer filled with bread, cheese, and milk. Now it’s wheat bread, low fat cheese and skim milk.*

While I’ve got the fire for self-improvement in me, here’s my plan:

More water – I drink lots, but not enough. This is the common denominator in every single diet I’ve ever looked into. They say 64 oz for a grown male. That’s a lot of peeing, by the way.

A salad a day – lunch or dinner. And stop snacking after 9pm or so.

Quit coffee – back in the day, I took in more coffee in an hour than I did oxygen. I’ve actually already started breaking this habit. I had my first coffee in a week this morning and I actually feel jittery right now. I don’t drink soda very much anymore either.

Ecksersyze – man, I need to. I know if I’m ever going to make friends with my heart again, I need to get off my ass. Don’t hold me to this (remember, I’m blogging under the influence of my first coffee in a week – I might promise to fly around the world and turn back time to save Lois Lane next) but I think I might start… [shudder]… running. I don’t have the time or money for the gym, and I hate pushups and sit-ups with every fiber of my soul. I have no idea where to start with this (how long/far/often should I run, and where? what should I take with me? how do I stretch beforehand? what should I have on my iPod?) but I’ll keep you updated. In the meantime, more baby carrots?

*That’s not entirely true. Before I got married, the only thing my fridge held was take-out menus, stuck on with magnets.

7 comments:

Esther said...

I will TOTALLY run with you. I TOLD you - THIS is my year! Or at least I'll let you know what I'd put on my ipod if I was going to run.

R said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
R said...

I hope water IS included in your rent, between you and Lisa having to pee all of the time!!!

Cecilia said...

I'm not a runner, but I'll walk with you anytime, once it gets nice out (we can walk to Jims...steak and cheese subs don't count if you walk to get them...)

Leah said...

I will run with you at either 6am or 4pm. In any case I'm slow, at 4 b/c I'd be pushing three children and at 6 b/c well, it's 6am.

mom b said...

Baby steps!! Any start is a good start. My grandbaby needs a very healthy daddy. Angel food cake tonight......fat free!!

Leah said...

Oh yea, water? yes, loads!! Salads? great choice! Exercise, whenever, wherever!!!!

But coffee?!?! Brother ya gotta hang on to something!