Sunday, April 09, 2006

Here come the judge.

"There is no surer way to misread any document than to read it literally"
-Justice Learned Hand

Just something I read while getting ready for class tomorrow. (Yes, his name was “Learned Hand”.) I don't want to get into a spirit-of-the/letter-of-the-law discussion here, but suffice it to say it's been on my mind lately. Just... keep your minds open, everyone. Really listen. Then think for yourself.

In only somewhat related news, I think I’ve picked a concentration. It’s an odd thing, really. Up until this year, I’ve always had some other stint of education yet to come. When I was in college, I knew I wanted to get into grad school. When I was in bidness school, I knew I wanted to go to law school. It’s impressive how easily you can put off deciding what you want to be when you grow up by just stacking on a few more K’s in student loans.

Anyway, yes I have two years left, but considering I’m in 19th grade right now (12+4+2+1), the light at the end of the tunnel is getting pretty bright. What happens then?

Well, honestly, damned if I know yet. But I’m getting closer. This past week I signed up for next Fall’s classes and also registered for a concentration in Civil Litigation. Now, don’t get out the Woo-Hoo,-Garvey-Got-Off-His-Ass-And-Made-A-Decision novelty noise makers yet. A lawyer concentrating in civil litigation is like a medical student majoring in people. It’s about as all-encompassing as it gets. Really, it’s more of a move to help me plan out my classes for the next two years. But, literally, it’s a start.

3 comments:

Cecilia said...

YAY MIKEY! I plan on being an oral surgeon...I'm majoring in biology...I figure I'll pick up everything I need, assuming Scott and Amy pass Physics for me, right?

mom b said...

just so you know, not all medical students major in people. so, it's not a given. i applaude your efforts to narrow the field. love

John said...

"Aloha, Mr. Hand!" Jeff Spicoli