Friday, August 18, 2006

Leaving with a wallet full of memories and no money.

Today marks the last real day of volunteer work I'll be doing over the summer.  I won't say where, since I have a lot of friends who also work for this company and God knows how awkward it might be if I ran into them on the street after blogging about their men's room, which I fully intend to do.

Oh, but before I do, let me just say that this gig has been the first year law student's equivalent of winning the lottery many times over.  Several mornings this past summer, I've found myself prostrate in front of the building, thanking the merciful Gods of Resume Fodder for helping me to land such a cushy gig.  We thank Thee through margins aligned and powerful action words, Amen.

And of course I learned a lot. If you're ever bored, drop me a line and I'll tell you about reading contracts and writing memos and the law student's most useful purpose, looking shit up.  Until then, here are a few things (questions/comments/oddities) I took away from my summer job:

-I forgot how difficult it is to sit at a desk job all day and not surf the internet.  I have genuinely interesting projects on which I’m working and all I can think about is checking to see if there’s a new The Onion up yet.  Thank goodness hotmail was blocked.

-This was also my first ever professional dress job.  In internships past, it seems the lackey’s uniform (khakis, short sleeve button down/polo shirt) was adequate, but not here.  Yeah, my dry cleaning expenses have never been this high, but I do feel rather James Bond putting on my Sunday best every morning.  On a side note, thanks to BAStart for this.  Turns out I’ve been using a knot called the Half SlipShod Dumbass all these years.  

-If you work in an office with someone, no matter how much you love or hate or know them, you want desperately to show them baby pictures.

-I only found out today why there is no stop at the 4th floor.  Sorry, I’ve been sworn to secrecy.  

-Over the summer, I’ve worked here on average twice a week for about four months.  Every day, I use the bathroom at least twice, and never at exactly the same time.  There’re two sinks, one urinal, two toilet stalls, and a motion sensing paper towel dispenser.  What I’m trying to say is, I’m quite familiar with the men’s room here.  The oddity?  I’ve never seen anyone else in there.  Not going in, not using the stall next to me, not leaving.  I seem to be the only volunteer/intern/clerk/fellow/assistant with his own private restroom.  

Can I put that on my resume?  Hallelujah.

No comments: