Friday, September 08, 2006

How 'bout now? Now?

Mock Trial try-out results might be emailed out today.  “Might.”  That means I only check my email once every ten minutes, and once every half minute during times it’s highly probable they’d be sent out.  So once every half minute all day, in other words.

Here’s how my brain worked today:

9am – he’s been in his office for at least a half hour now.  Plenty of time to put the email together and send it out, if he made all the decisions last night.  No email yet, but it’s early.  
9:10am – maybe he got to work late.  Nope, not yet.
9:20am – maybe he went and got a coffee before getting to his desk.  No.
9:21am – maybe he forgot to include my email address on the list and just resent it.  Sigh... no.
9:22am – maybe he forgot to include my email address on the list a second time and just resent it.  Sigh... no.

...the day drags on...

11:50am – he’s a busy guy, so I bet he takes lunch early and eats at his desk.  The email is sure to be in by now.  Or not.
12:00pm – high noon, brother.  Draw!  Or not.
12:01pm – maybe he forgot to include my email address on the list and just resent it.  Sigh... no.
12:01pm and one second, and two seconds, and three seconds, etc. – Okay, I’m just going to keep clicking refresh until you send the email.

...and on...

4:45pm – alright, you’ve had the whole damn day.  You’re done at 5, and you’ll need to leave at least fifteen minutes for any bounced back emails.  Aaaand, no.
4:50pm – if you haven’t written me by 5pm, that means you won’t be sending out the results until tomorrow, so hurry it up.  Anything yet?  Of course nothing yet.
4:59pm – oh it’ll definitely be in by now.  It’s four fifty freakin’ nine. And by definitely, I mean not at all.
5:00pm – maybe email travels slow here and it took exactly one minute to get to my computer.  Maybe not.
5:01pm – maybe he forgot to include my email address on the list and just resent it.  Sigh... no.

...and on.  At 5:02pm, Lisa called, but I was in the library so I told her I’d call her back and started toward the hallway.  That’s proper library etiquette, bitches.  And guess who wrote to me at 5:03?!?  No one, and I know because I checked to be safe.

Anyway, on my way out, a friend stopped and congratulated me for making the team.  Wha?!?  I made it?  And he knew before I did???  According to him, he’d known for about an hour!  I just hadn’t gotten the email yet.  Thrilled and more than a little confused, I hugged a law school friend in the middle of the library.

So what happened?  Turns out he forgot to include my email address on the list and just never resent it.

5 comments:

Jen(nifer) said...

Yay! Congrats. I wish I could have had this kind of excitement about law school when I was there...

Esther said...

Yay Mikey! Congratulations! And way to respect the proper lib etiquette, bitches.

Scott said...

Wait a minute. You can't talk in the library, but you can hug? Just what goes on in law school anyway?

Garvey said...

You know. We make out. Talk about each other's briefs. That kind of stuff.

Jen, any time you wanna switch up so I can be in the real world and you can be excited about grat trans reading, drop me a line! You went to UB, yes? Did you ever have Joyce? I like him. Dillon (evience) seems like he's going to be an okay guy too. Nice new template, btw.

Garvey said...

Dear Prof. Dillon,

Notice I don't have a "d" in "evience". Please don't give me one. Also, don't p in my ool.

xoxo,
-Mike Garvey