Tuesday, October 10, 2006

blog simply

I’ll be the first to admit I have a double standard when it comes to music. What I’m attracted to in one band, I can’t stand in another. What’s on my mind today is the unique voice.

I’ve done the play Our Town twice now, and a line from one of the dads in that show always pops into my mind whenever I hear a singer like Tom DeLonge from Blink 182, Chris Cornell from Audioslave, or (shudder) Scott Stapp from Creed. The character sees his daughter walking home from school, and she’s skipping, or jumping, or just goofing off like a bored child will. He finally gets annoyed and says “Walk simply!”

Dear Mr. Scantlin of Puddle of Mud: sing simply.
Dear Mr. Kroeger of Nickelback: sing simply.
Dear Mr. Ondrasik of Five for Fighting: grow a pair. It’ll help you get away from the 24/7 falsetto. And sing simply.

xoxo,
Garvey.

Here’s where the double standard comes in: while the sound of Stapp makes my skin crawl, I actually adore Eddie Vedder. While I just wish Tom Delonge would calm down, take a breath, and listen to himself, I think David Byrne, Gordon Gano, and even Bjork sound pretty good. And genuine. I’m not putting all of those people in the same style of music, I’m just saying that I forgive and even appreciate some unique voices, specifically for that novelty, and abhor others.

I was listening to a song by Live today (sorry gabs) and that’s kind of what pushed me over the edge. I’ve heard Ed Kowalczyk’s talking voice in interviews before, and it’s not what I hear in his singing voice. I don’t buy it. It’s forced, it’s affected, it’s a character he’s playing on stage. I just wish he’d drop the attempt at being unique and sing me a song. Sing simply.

Of course my argument falls to pieces when someone brings up Mike Doughty, who I love, or Isaac Brock, who is anything but “simple”, but I love him too. I listen to The Beta Band for crissakes. I love Tom Waits.

Hmmm... I just tried to make a rhaplink with all the bands above, but it doesn’t seem to be working. Since I’ve lost my ipaq and my car seems to be breaking down everytime I, well, use it, I think me and technology are having an off day.

Thank God hyperlinks and wikipedia are still working...

No comments: