Sunday, April 15, 2007

This library brought to you by the makers of Blockbuster Video

When I was in Mr. Robertson’s third grade class, I borrowed from the library a copy of the BFG by Raold Dahl. I didn’t return it until I was in Mr. Hoover’s fifth grade class. At the end of third grade, when the librarian repo lady cam a-knockin’, I ducked and weaved my way through the last day of school (someday I’ll share with my elementary school readers all of my tactics - you can look forward to 101 Uses For A Bathroom Pass and the like) so I never had to confront the man over my sin. Partly, this was because I’d lost the book. Mostly, this was because I was terrified of the million dollar fine I’d have to pay.

Of course mom eventually found BFG and handed it in. There was a fine. It’ was 85 cents. Two years of hiding like a despised criminal over 85 frickin’ cents.

Today I realized I was almost two weeks overdue on a book I checked out of the law school library. (Lawyer Advertising At the Crossroads – published in December 1995, checked out ZERO TIMES BEFORE I GOT IT since then.) My fine? $6.50.

So, to sum up:

-Fine for one of the best children’s books ever written, kept past due for two years: $0.85
-Fine for a 150 page snorefest seen by no more than ONE student in the last 12 years, kept past due for 13 days (from an institution kept in business by my tuition dollars): $6.50

3 comments:

Alyson said...

hey!! i've got this REALLY great idea for blockbuster video....

Scott said...

next time, they take a finger. . .

Mom said...

I think I might have just found Mr. Hoover's copy of "Call of the Wild".....