Friday, July 27, 2007

State your name.

Water-loo and Aunt Annie did indeed stop over last night, and we enjoyed ourselves out on the porch, amidst mosquitoes and fudgesicles (“fudgicles” don’t exist, by the way). Believe it or not, the conversation eventually got around to baby names.

Our consortium failed to add more than a few to the list, but man, we sure got a lot vetoed. Here’s where we stand:

Names we like but are too popular: Olivia, Sophie, Sophia, Jacob, Hannah, Addison, Nathan.

Names we might consider but sound bad when put in front of “Garvey”: Sally, Betty, Tony, Harvey, and pretty much anything that ends in “-ey”. (The only person who pulls this of is Aunt Mary who is perfect in every way.)

Names that we like but are just too Irish: Donovan, Liam, Ronin, Murphy. (“Hi, I’m Mike, and this is Maeve and this is Murphy. Can we get you a potato?”)

Names vetoed because of famous people: Steve, Marcus.

Names Lisa likes but I think they sound too soap-opera-, trust-fund-babyish: Cole, Colin, Deklin, Quinton, Zane, Griffin.

Names I like but Lisa vetoed for no good reason at all: Clark, Lois, Lex, Kent, Bruce, Robin, Alfred, Grover, Inigo Montoya.

Names we can’t use because of some bad association: Any of my ex-girlfriends’ names, Delilah.

Thoughts?
PS - my test for picking a name is simple. I see how easily it rolls off the tongue when you add "...PRIVATE EYE." "Sally Garvey, PRIVATE EYE" sounds no-so-much, but "Lex Garvey, PRIVATE EYE", well now... that gentleman is going to find your killer with panache.

11 comments:

Megan said...

Great minds think alike: just last night, my husband totally suggested Inigo Montoya if we have a boy.

Garvey said...

I think all fathers have mortality issues...

Megan said...

Lee's other suggestion last night was Optimus Prime Sarkis. It is catchy I must admit.

Alex said...

I'm partial to Lex.

Esther said...

Robert. Or else we can just start calling Cecilia by her rightful name.

Peter said...

Skiddleebutt Dupree

mary said...

i love liam... i don't think you should cross it off the list!

dr. nic said...

My brother-in-law and his wife just named their daughter Annalise (which I happen to think is pretty and would suggest it).

Peter is recommending: Jean-Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg.

Cecilia said...

If you name her (because she is a girl, you know, Julia said so) Robert, can I say she was named after me? I kinda like Estcecilary. I don't know how you'd pronounce it exactly, or if you could get Katie's name in there, but it's pretty, isn't it? :)

Beers said...

Vote Lex Garvey for baby name!

Scott said...

Bartholomew Simpson Garvey.

'Nough said.