I was doing big important things yesterday when it occurred to me that I had no idea whether or not Jane Goodall was dead. Well, Wikipedia to the rescue, and I’m happy to report that Dr. Goodall is alive and kicking.
It got me to thinking. The internet really has become a huge crutch for trivia fans. Wikipedia and imdb are heavenly by themselves (even with a few flaws) and could probably get you through just about any game of trivial pursuit with a perfect score. Throw Google into the mix, and, well, you’ve achieved Cliff Clavin Godhood.
The questions below would take me about five minutes to answer if I was sitting at an internet-ready computer. Without using the imdb, the Google, the Wikipedia, the Answers, the Jeeves, or any other website [edit: including the comments to this post, duh], how many of these do you know?
1. What bird is the official state bird for seven states?
2. Which is older, The Evil Dead or Nine to Five?
3. Recite the code that would grant an extra 27 lives in Contra.
4. Who was the first pilot to travel faster than sound in level flight and ascent?
5. What actor played the corpse in The Big Chill?
6. Name 25 Muppets. (I got 44. I spelled maybe 6 of them right.)
7. Name two NHL teams for which Tim Horton played.
8. What was Coach’s real name on Cheers? (I mean the character’s real name, not the actor’s name.)
9. What’s the largest planet in our solar system?
10. All of the following quotes are from movies except one, which is from a television show. Which is from the TV show?
a. “I know. I know you can fight. But it's our wits that make us men.”
b. “I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's *really* hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet.”
c. “Is this display of boyish agility turning you on at all?”
d. “Say Lou, didya hear the one about the guy who couldn't afford personalized plates so he went and changed his name to J3L 2404?”
e. “We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.”
f. “I carried a watermelon. I carried a watermelon?”
11. Who said the above quotes?
1 year ago