Wednesday, August 15, 2007

12. Is Dian Fossey dead?

I was doing big important things yesterday when it occurred to me that I had no idea whether or not Jane Goodall was dead. Well, Wikipedia to the rescue, and I’m happy to report that Dr. Goodall is alive and kicking.

It got me to thinking. The internet really has become a huge crutch for trivia fans. Wikipedia and imdb are heavenly by themselves (even with a few flaws) and could probably get you through just about any game of trivial pursuit with a perfect score. Throw Google into the mix, and, well, you’ve achieved Cliff Clavin Godhood.

The questions below would take me about five minutes to answer if I was sitting at an internet-ready computer. Without using the imdb, the Google, the Wikipedia, the Answers, the Jeeves, or any other website [edit: including the comments to this post, duh], how many of these do you know?

1. What bird is the official state bird for seven states?
2. Which is older, The Evil Dead or Nine to Five?
3. Recite the code that would grant an extra 27 lives in Contra.
4. Who was the first pilot to travel faster than sound in level flight and ascent?
5. What actor played the corpse in The Big Chill?
6. Name 25 Muppets. (I got 44. I spelled maybe 6 of them right.)
7. Name two NHL teams for which Tim Horton played.
8. What was Coach’s real name on Cheers? (I mean the character’s real name, not the actor’s name.)
9. What’s the largest planet in our solar system?
10. All of the following quotes are from movies except one, which is from a television show. Which is from the TV show?
a. “I know. I know you can fight. But it's our wits that make us men.”
b. “I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's *really* hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet.”
c. “Is this display of boyish agility turning you on at all?”
d. “Say Lou, didya hear the one about the guy who couldn't afford personalized plates so he went and changed his name to J3L 2404?”
e. “We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.”
f. “I carried a watermelon. I carried a watermelon?”
11. Who said the above quotes?

9 comments:

Beers said...

1. What bird is the official state bird for seven states? - Cardinal
2. Which is older, The Evil Dead or Nine to Five? - Evil Dead
3. Recite the code that would grant an extra 27 lives in Contra. - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A, (Select if playing 2 players)Start
4. Who was the first pilot to travel faster than sound in level flight and ascent? Chuck Yeager
5. What actor played the corpse in The Big Chill? Jeff Goldbloom??
6. Name 25 Muppets.
a. Kermit
b. Ms. Piggy
c. Rizzo the Rat
d. Snufalugus
e. Beeker
f. Dr. Bunson Honeydew
g. Gonzo
f. Scooter
g. Rolf the Dog
h. Fozzie Bear
i. Swedish Chef
j. Harry Monster
k. Cookie monster
l. Elmo
m. Animal
n. The Count
o. Big Bird
p. Oscar the Grouch
q. Guy Smiley
r. Janice
I give up
(I got 44. I spelled maybe 6 of them right.)
7. Name two NHL teams for which Tim Horton played. Buffalo Sabres & Toronto Maple Leafs
8. What was Coach’s real name on Cheers? (I mean the character’s real name, not the actor’s name.)
9. What’s the largest planet in our solar system? Jupiter
10. All of the following quotes are from movies except one, which is from a television show. Which is from the TV show? I choose choice "C"
a. “I know. I know you can fight. But it's our wits that make us men.”
b. “I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's *really* hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet.”
c. “Is this display of boyish agility turning you on at all?”
d. “Say Lou, didya hear the one about the guy who couldn't afford personalized plates so he went and changed his name to J3L 2404?”
e. “We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.”
f. “I carried a watermelon. I carried a watermelon?”
11. Who said the above quotes?
a. - Uncle Argyle...Socks. - Braveheart
b. Trent - Swingers
c. Ted - How I Met Your Mother?
d. - No Clue
e. - No Clue
f. - No Clue

Beers said...

Just so you know, I was googleing the quotes to see if I was right, and the RT came up as hit #3 when I searched for “Is this display of boyish agility turning you on at all?”

Bryan Mahoney said...

1. eagle
2. Evil Dead
3. up up down down left right left right a b select start
4. Gus Grissom or Chuck Yeager. I'll go with Yeager
5. Never saw it. I guess: Eric Stoltz
6. Doozer Wembley Red UncleTravelingMatt Yoda Kermit MissPiggy Janice Animal Dr. Teeth Gonzo Fozzy Rolph Zoot Scooter Dr. BunsenHoneydew Beaker Cookie Monster Bert Ernie Rizzo Elmo Oscar Grover
and for fun: Donatello, Rapheael, Michaelangelo, and Leonardo.
7. Sabres and ... Ottawa?
8. Charlie
9. Jupiter
10. D.
11. William Wallace's father, Vince Vaughn ("T") in Swingers, ???, Red Buttons on the Honeymooners, ???, Drew Barrymore.

By the way, I didn't look at the other post. Besides, Beers may be wrong on the William Wallace thing. And a couple others, I think?

Esther said...

You know, Englebert Humperdink is dead.

Esther said...

No he isn't.

Scott said...

1. Probably not the wild turkey?
2. Which one did Dolly Parton show her rack in?
3. WTF is Contra?
4. Captain Charles “Chuck” Yeager in the Bell X-1, Edwards Air Force Base, California – The Right Stuff – Top 10 favorite movies.
5. Kevin Costner
6. Kermit, Fozzie, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Scooter, Sam the Eagle, Rolf, Zoot, Dr. Teeth, Floyd, Animal, Stadler, Waldorf, Rizzo, Robin, Eddie the Fish, Swedish Chef, Janice, Marvin Suggs, The Muppaphones, Yoda, . . . do Sesame Street Characters count? Ernie, Bert, Oscar, Grover, Elmo, Zoe, Snuffy,
7. Buffalo, Ottowa
8. Ernie Paluso
9. Jupiter
10. D - Taxi?”
11.
a – Lee Marvin in The Dirty Dozen
b - ???
c - ???
d – Judd Hirsch (?) - Taxi
e – Chevy Chase - Fletch.
f - ???

Beers said...

Upon further thought I am wrong about the Braveheart quote. Darn!

Garvey said...

In case you were wondering, I only knew three of these off the top of my head. The others I had to look up. Here’s the rundown:
1. Maeve has a book that talks about state birds and it struck me as odd that SEVEN of them have the same bird. Do we not have 50 birds in the US when this list was made? Or had we just not invented the “I got dibs” system of democracy by then?
2. At least one of these questions had to be perfect for IMDB. Plus, Bruce Campbell is king.
3. Also known as the Konami Code.
4. I knew it was yeager, but I had to look it up since I was sure someone would write me saying I’d gotten some detail wrong. That’s why it includes “in level flight and ascent”.
5. I knew this one. He was on Inside the Actor’s Studio.
6. Props for the TMNT reference, Mahoney.
7. I knew he’d played for a few, but could only remember Buffalo and Toronto.
8. Ernie Pantusso, my favorite Cheers character.
9. Jupiter. Trivia I learned from a placemat.
10. a. Sorry Beers, it was Braveheart Mel’s father, Malcom. You just wanted to say AAAARGYLE, didn’t you?
10. b. T, from Swingers.
10. c. About as random as I could get. It’s a Mulder quote from the X-files TV show.
10. d. From Fargo, said by Marge Gunderson.
10. e. One of Lex’s best quotes ever.
10. f. If any women ever read this blog, they would have gotten this Baby quote.
12. Yes, yes she is.

Julie said...

Dian Fossey is dead (was killed in Africa by, they think, some one working for her because she had gone crazy in the jungle.)

Scott, Contra rules. Good lord, I forgot about that game. Wow, does anyone know where I could download it?