Monday, February 25, 2008

Sibling revelry

My sisters and brother and I started a new tradition this past weekend of watching our own kids in some place other than our homes for two whole days. Others might call skiing in Ellicottville a "vacation", but that's misleading, really. They are "wrong". They probably don’t have "kids". They don’t know all the words to the Dora the Explorer theme "song".

Okay, enough of that. It was awesome and any bellyaching I do isn’t because it was a bad weekend, but because I’m the type of pessimistic jerkhead who uses words like "bellyaching". In actuality, it was damn near perfect:

-I got to hang out with my sibs and friends. The five Garvey siblings so rarely hang out together, especially when we try to add in our significant others and children. We started planning this little trip last summer; apparently 8 months is what it takes to get us all in the same place at the same time.
-I got to eat like a king (a king who is NOT on weight watchers). We ate Lisa’s chili, steak with Montreal seasoning, venison steaks wrapped in bacon, and a big ass bag of Swedish fish. Our breakfasts were monumental and spanned 5 dozen eggs, 4 pounds of bacon, and who knows how many gallons of pancake batter.
-I got to pull my daughter on a sled and watch her laugh when Uncle Lou threw snowballs at trees. Why is this funny? Anyone? No? Not that I’m complaining, mind you.
-I got to ski the K12. Not really, but I did ski Holiday Valley for a few perfect hours. The weather was gorgeous, the snow was pretty good, all the slopes were open, and I didn’t fall once, thankyouverymuch.
-There was a water purifier in our cabin the size of a washing machine. SOMEONE in our group thought it might be a soft ice cream machine, but I won’t say who.
-I got to beat everyone at billiards and scrabble. You’re welcome to argue with me on those two points, but no one I played with has a blog, so neener neener.

Okay, on that note, I think I’ve hit the most important points of my weekend. You’ll notice I haven’t posted recently and that’s because I was cut off. CUT OFF! That’s right, Mike Garvey didn’t get to surf the information superhighway for two whole days. We couldn’t even get online via C’s iphone. Not that it mattered. We were too busy keeping the "kids" away from the "soft serve ice cream dispenser".

1 comment:

Patty said...

Sounds like the perfect week!