Thursday, February 07, 2008

Two lawyers walk into a... oh, you know.

I’m in my last semester before graduation, which means I’m in my last semester before I start studying for the bar.

Let me repeat that: “FOR. THE. BAR, BITCHES.”

Those who know me know I have a sliiiiiight tendency to look on the sour side of life. I get worked up too much and too quickly over things that, if I’m honest, I’d admit I’m pretty good at. I freaked over trial tech and blew it out of the water. I stressed over getting a clerkship last summer and ended up winning the second year law student’s equivalent of the effing lottery. Et cetera.

Keeping that in mind, it’s probably a good idea for me to think elsewhere, when it comes to the bar. It’s going to happen. I’m going to take it one way or another, pass or fail. No reason for me to get an ulcer before true bar prep really begins.

I mean, for instance, it would probably be a bad idea for me to take a bar preparation course right now. Studying doesn’t really begin until after graduation, so if I were to take a bar course RIGHT NOW, well, that’d be an entire semester of stress (a stressmester) that no one really needs. That’d be stupid. Silly, even.

Sooooooo, I started a bar prep course last week, and sure as shapiro, the stress levels are a-risin’.

And of course, the teacher isn’t allowing me to ignore my tendency to freak out as much as I would like. So far, every day has been one quarter How To Not Totally Fuck Up When You Take The Bar and three quarters Let Me Tell You Why You Are Going To Fuck Up When You Take The Bar. It’s like every day I work hard to learn how to be a pirate and then someone tells me “Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.”

Oh, and these two are in my class too. And, because I know you've been waiting two years for a follow up: they haven't gotten any better. The bitches.

4 comments:

Patty said...

I'm sure you do AWESOME when the time comes. Try to enjoy your last semester and yes prepare for the BAR but don't forget to spend some time at the reagular "bar" and have some good times.

Good Luck!

M. said...

Oh, Mike. Don't worry your pretty little head about the Bar exam. It's not THAT big a deal ;-)

You will rock that thing, and I guarantee, forget the horrors within 2 years. Then you'll start writing to other people taking the Bar, and telling them it won't be so bad.

:-)Meg

Scott said...

Dude, I so totally feel your stress. I mean just last week, I was studying my butt off for a . . .

Oh, wait, I'm done with school. Have been for yyyyyeeeeeaaaaarrrrrrssssss.

/punch
/kick
/stab
/twist

gabsosteel said...

great use of a line from the bestest movie ever!