Thursday, March 27, 2008

Argue-besque

One of my mom’s friends often regales us with her tales of high school insubordination. I maintain a healthy respect for this friend-of-the-family (we’ll call her Betty) who has since become a very successful business woman. I love to hear stories like this. For one thing, it tell us that the moguls and magnates are human after all, and for another, it means that conformity to the system as a kid is not a prerequisite for success as an adult.

One yarn describes a gym class exam gone wrong: apparently, while the boys were off playing contact sports, Betty and her high school fem-classmates were required to learn dance. She, as was her em-oh, skipped class the entire semester. I mean, c’mon. It was dance instruction, fercryinoutloud.

When it came time for the final exam, the instructor put needle to record and the first student pranced through her routine. Mom’s friend, who was second in line, got up and improvised her own routine to the same song, expecting one of the easiest A’s ever given. She finished, took her seat, and watched as the third student got up to do the exact same routine the first student had. Then the fourth got up and did the same thing. And the fifth, and so on until it became painfully apparent that Betty’s may have been a great dancer, but was a shitty phys ed student.

I have danced with Betty and she is pretty good, despite the bad mark she got on that exam. She also makes a damn good cheesecake.

Anyway, I bring all this up to make myself feel better about my performance in Corporations today. It’s been a crazy week, and I’m a bit behind on the reading, and though I’ve been good about coming to class, well, let’s just say senioritis has made the internet a lot more interesting that last class’s discussion on whatever we discussed.

Today, my prof kicked off the class with a hypothetical about a failed board of directors made up of a mom and her sons. I have an outline from someone who took the class last semester, so I pulled up those notes and found a similar hypo under the section entitled Duty of Loyalty. Perfect. I raised my hand and give a four minute dissertation on familial obligations and nepotism and negligence and all the elements that are necessary for a breach of the duty of loyalty. My prof’s response: “Well done, Mr. Garvey. That was beautifully argued. But we won’t cover duty of loyalty for another three weeks.”

She may have well said “Stop reading ahead in some other kid’s outline and go back to playing scrabulous, dumbass.”

Oh well. At least I was right. I’ll make a great corporate lawyer, despite being a shitty law student. Now if only I could make cheesecake.

1 comment:

Meg said...

i'm dying over here. you slay me!