Thursday, March 13, 2008

BufBloPoFo DayThirteen:

Oh man, I’ve been compiling this list forEVer. I don’t really blame bad TV on the writer’s strike, but I don’t know the industry well enough to figure out exactly what the problem is. Are the production companies putting out bad programs or are the networks picking them up? Are the flawed Neilson ratings the cause, or are advertisers just getting more demanding?

Regardless, it seems a few of the good ones survived the system, and that’s why I’m so excited about today’s post. I’ve read over a lot of other BufBloPoFo participants’ blogs and I see a lot of repeats out there, so don’t expect too much new here. I try not to get into new series too quickly (more on that below) but here’s a list of the current series I’m most looking forward to:

30 Rock – No surprises here. Tina Fey, who is like a female version of Amy Poehler, is both funny and a looker.
Avatar, the Last Airbender – a cartoon worthy of your eyeballs.
Battlestar Galactica – it’s like Star Trek’s goth younger brother.
Big Love – polygamawesome.
Chuck – Cecilia said Chuck reminds her of me, and I will admit it’s like the show’s creators took cues right from my psyche. Although, he has better hair. And I have a hotter significant other. And a smarter sister.
Drawn Together – Was this cancelled? It’s easy to be tasteless and unfunny, but DT couldn’t possibly have crammed in more untaste and funny.
Entourage – What’s gonna happen with Medellin?!?
How I Met Your Mother – The Onion has an article written by this show’s laughtrack, and they couldn’t have been more right to poke fun. But if you ignore the craptastic network influences, it’s actually a pretty good show.
Madmen – Alex said it all, except that it’s the theme song that makes me drool.
My Name Is Earl – Jason Lee has made me laugh ever since Mallrats. (He was funnier in Chasing Amy, though.)
The Office – It’s just... just so good. Please don’t jump the shark. Please don’t jump the shark. Please don’t jump the shark...
The Riches – Minnie Driver? Gooooood. Eddie Izzard? Goooooood. Whoever plays Hugh? Gooooood. This show had all the earmarks of a shameful failure, but pulled through regardless. It’s funny and smart and suspenseful, and better acted than 99% of shows out there. Like someone had to step up after 6 Feet Under took a powder.
Top Chef Chicago – The ONE AND ONLY reality bit on here. Remember when these programs were called game shows? Or documentaries? Regardless, since this season is set in my second favorite city, I’m going to give it a chance. (Richard is going to win it all, by the way.)
Weeds – Lisa and I just finished watching the first two seasons on DVD and are going through withdrawal. We need a fix man. The worst part is we don’t have Showtime, our hookup’ll have to be in dvd form.

I haven’t gotten into Lost, Jericho, Dirty Sexy Money, or a bunch of other shows that look like they’re the kind of shows I should be getting into. A) I just don’t have the time. Either I’m busy, or my TV is playing a DVRed episode of Little Einsteins. And B) I’ve been burned in the past... sniff. I would have started entire religions on the greatness of shows like Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip or Keen Eddie*, and yet they fail where the effing Apprentice is going into its thirtieth unwatched season? Ridiculous.

*To the list of shows I love that were killed off early, I add:
Andy Richter Controls the Universe
Dead Like Me
Firefly
Freaks and Geeks
Journeyman
Keen Eddie
The Critic

and of course

Arrested Development.

____________________________________
BufBloPoFoStuff

So... tired... of blogging...

Actually, I’m really not, and that’s the second most surprising thing about BufBloPoFo. (The first = 30 participants! Wha?!?) The toughest part of all this has actually been keeping up with all the other blogs. I mean, I didn’t expect to have more than three or four other participants, and I figured those guys would punk out by BufBloPoFo DayTwo.

So, no, don’t expect daily blogging from me after the BufBlo has PoFo’d its last, even if I don’t have to read 29 other blogs every 24 hours. But, hey, if the right topic comes to mind... well, I’m sure I’ll find the time somehow.
____________________________________
Wow. Anyone else weeping uncontrollably because you’re about to get your last BufBloPoFo Topic for BufBloPoFo08? Well, no, neither am I, but it has been a good run. Here’s one for the road:

BufBloPoFo Topic for Day 14: Link to whatever you posted exactly one year ago (or whatever’s closest), and give your readers an update on that topic. If you haven’t been writing for a year, give us a list of three or four things that are going on in your life right now that you’ll want to update one year from now at the end of BufBloPoFo09.

6 comments:

Gabrielle said...

it's official? journeyman isn't coming back? that's unacceptable! who do i send my letter to?

Garvey said...

That's the word on the street, unfortunately. I would recommend going back in time and making people watch it. It's your mission!

Hoffmann said...

I nominate you to rally the troops, if you want to get together on Monday. I remain your faithful servant.

Bryan Mahoney said...

Hey Garv -
Thanks for setting up the PoFlo!
In honor of our gracious host, I've posted Lego men singing about beer.

Bryan Mahoney said...

I said PoFlo. Meant PoFo.

Erin said...

There are a few I'd add to your list...including Sports Night and Wonderfalls. I haven't watched Dead Like Me yet, but we do have the first season on DVD.