Sunday, March 02, 2008

BufBloPoFo DayTwo:

The best gift I’ve ever gotten? Well damn, I seem to have asked a question I don’t really know how to answer. I mean, no one ever gives me stuff.

Okay, dad, put the monitor down, I was kidding. Pry mom off the ceiling.

The gift of life notwithstanding, I’m still having trouble picking from a pretty incredible list. I should point out this topic sort of indirectly planted the thought seed that would eventually become our little BufBloPoFo. To get to the start of that story, we need to go back about a year. One of my favorite pro-blogs, Defective Yeti, spent a week pulling topics at random from a book called No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog, by Margaret Mason. I followed that week closely, and remember thinking it would be a decent way to fend off writer’s block.

In particular, one day had this topic, about the author’s favorite gift.

Anyway, I forgot about the blog book until this Christmas when I got it as a gift from Esther. Sorry, Est, I can’t say it was the best gift I’ve ever gotten (you’ve got some stiff competition), but it definitely ranks up there. See, Esther is my academic, professional, and parenting advisor and it meant a lot to me that she’d buy me something that had to do with none of those. As if to say, “Hey little bro, you’re doin’ fine in all these other respects, so here’s something that’ll help you goof off during your downtime.”

Ain’t she sweet?

____________________________________

So there you go. Not entirely in keeping with the assigned topic, but so long as one posts on time, the BufBloPoFo judges aren’t too picky.

If you haven’t already, go read Katie’s post from yesterday, where she noted this:

“Let's do some quick math, there is a possibility that there will be 19 new blogs everyday....EVERYDAY. On an average blog i spend between 1-5 minutes reading them. Why you ask? Because shiny things distract me and I have the attention span of a sea monkey... So for the next 2 weeks roughly i could be spending up to 95 minutes a day reading blogs. 95 MINUTES!”

I love this math. The better news is that as of yesterday at midnight, BufBloPoFo08 actually has 23 participants, so, KT, you’re up to 115 minutes per day.

Also, if there’s anyone else out there who is playing along but I haven’t added you to the list on my sidebar, speak up! I love that people I don’t even know are doing this, and like KT, I’m happy to have that many more blogs to read even after March 14th has come and gone.

That said, here’s your topic for tomorrie:

BufBloPoFo Topic for Day 3: Those who know me know I tend to look for what’s wrong with something. I’m a happy man, but a consummate pessimist. Ignore the same tendencies you may have and write about the things that went right today. Plenty of Wegmans brand raisin bran for breakfast? All green lights on the way to work or to school or to Wegmans to buy more raisin bran? Maybe other good things happened that were not cereal related? Share!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

11:52 Sunday March 2 and I just finished reading EVERY BUFFLOPOFO BLOG!! Very fun; thank you all. And I need to have a word with you about gifts.... love, Mom

Patty said...

I can't tell you how many new favortie blogs I now have thanks to BufbloPoFo! Reading time I'm sure will go up from 2 hrs/day to 3hrs/day. GREAT IDEA and I'm loving the topics.

GabsOSteel said...

add me to the list! add me to the list!

goose said...

nnnnngarvvveyyyy, add me to the list bro, I totally forgot.

Esther said...

I agree! This has become all consuming. Mostly the reading part. Because I'm not thinking hard enough to come up with a post about your excellent topics.

Jennifer said...

Know what's wonderful/terrible. I'm in a totally different blog circle in Buffalo. I've known and had several of your blogs on my blogroll for sometime and find that I get sucked into the same ol same ol. So THIS experience shall bring me closer to the other blogs I need to read! :) Bringing that list up to something too scary to type. Hurrah!!!