Tuesday, March 24, 2009

BufBloPoFo 09 DayEleven

Who has two thumbs and could not be more boring? That would be this gentleman:


I snapped that gem this morning, right after filling out a cover sheet for my tps report. Okay, my job isn’t quite that banal, but this picture definitely doesn’t show the glitzy, glamorous side of lawyering. Mostly, because, you know, I haven’t found that side yet.

It might be tomorrow. Soon after this picture was taken, my boss handed me a file and said “You get to play lawyer tomorrow.” Turns out a friend of a friend of the bossman has an Unemployment Benefit Hearing tomorrow and needs an Esq to represent him. Guess who has two thumbs, could not be more boring, and gets to try his first case as a lawyer tomorrow? That would be the gentlemen picture above.

If you’re a lawyer and reading this, welcome back to the post. I assume after reading that last paragraph, you spent a good ten minutes rolling your eyes and are just now getting back to the RT. See, non-lawyers, “trying a case” and an “unemployment benefit hearing” is about as similar as shooting bullets and throwing them. Tomorrow isn’t really all that Atticus Finch-ish, but rather I get to sit in a room with a pseudo-judge, my client and his ex-boss, talking about schedules and paystubs and tps reports.

Even still... that gentleman does get to play lawyer tomorrow.

BufBloPoFo 09 Topic for Day 12

Lisa, Maeve, Addie and I had Unkie BAStart and Auntie Outgrabes over for some vino and pastries last night. The girls, happy to have an audience, but happier to have cookies, took their time heading for bed. Parental wherewithal can come from years of childrearing, or it can apparently be pulled from a bag of goodies bought at Starbucks. That kind of knowledge doesn’t come automatically for parents, so for day 12 (three more days!) I want to hear your best advice for those of us raising kids.

2 comments:

~marie said...

I'm a rebel, and not blogging, so here's my advice. Course, I'm also not a parent, but having been a nanny for many years, I'll throw the 2 cents in:

Laugh when you think screaming or crying is your only option.

Laugh when you know that screaming or crying is your only option.

Laugh when laughing seems like the last thing you want to do.

Get a babysitter, and run away, when you want/need it. Seriously, you married your spouse because you like spending time with them. Do so.

Johnny K said...

Looking at that picture, I take back my earlier comment and state that Nathan Lane would play you. Definitely.