Friday, March 20, 2009

BufBloPoFo 09 DaySeven

My chosen topic: an entirely useless post on why I write

I like to write. I’m not very good at it on a technical level. My sentences run on and my participles dangle. Stop thinking about my participles.

I like the fact that when I write, I get to show the reader a very calculated version of myself. Maybe it’s my marketing background. Maybe it’s that I’ve always worked better with a script (this guy is no so good at improv). Regardless, I like to convey exactly what I’m thinking, in exactly the way that I want, and writing, I think, is the best way to do that.

For instance, although that last paragraph may seem conversational or rudimentary, I actually re-wrote each one of those sentences at least twice. Had we been talking face to face, I wouldn’t have been able to do that. For another instance, I just looked up rudimentary to make sure it means what I think it means. It does.

I don’t bring this up for any reason in particular. It’s just something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately.

I’ve been doing a lot of legal writing ever since I started my job, and so far two people in my office (whom I respect) have said that they like my style of writing. I always thought my strengths as a lawyer would come from the fact that I’m pretty comfortable in front of a crowd. I thought I’d be a good Atticus Finch type. And maybe I will be someday. In the meantime, however, I have to say it warms my little lawyer heart that I’ve been able to convey exactly the legalese I’m thinking, in exactly the way that I want.

Also, no one has pointed out my dangling participles, which is nice.

BufBloPoFo 09 Topic for Day 8

Alright, enough of this lazy stuff, time to get those creative juices flowing. Take a look to the right over there and you’ll see a list of the “BufBloPoFo 09 Participants”. It’s pretty, isn’t it?!? Look at them all! Okay, now find whichever blog is below yours and talk about that dude. If you know them, tell us how you met. If you don’t know them, talk about something you read on their site. Whichever it is, end your post by asking that person a question. (That last part maaaaaaay be important later on...)

(UPDATE: this is quickly becoming my favorite BufBloPoFo topic ever. That is all.)

No comments: